I'm interested in intergroup relations, conflict, and contact, social identification and categorization, and comparative research across different cultures. My research comprises longitudinal studies examining intergroup contact and its effects on cognitive, behavioural, and affective variables over time in the UK, Germany, Spain, and Mexico; intergenerational contact and attitudes; extended (indirect) contact and its capacity to reduce intergroup conflict; the role of different types of threat in intergroup relations; the role of meta-stereotypes in intergroup relations; and embarrassment. I have been funded by the British Academy and the Nuffield Foundation (UK) to examine various aspects of intergroup contact and by the Leverhulme Trust (UK) and PAPIIT (UNAM, Mexico) to investigate intra- and intergroup aspects of embarrassment.
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Group Processes
- Intergroup Relations
- Internet and Virtual Psychology
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
Research Group or Laboratory:
- Eller, A., Abrams, D., & Gomez, A. (in press). When the direct route is blocked: The extended contact pathway to improving intergroup relations. International Journal of Intercultural Relations.
- Eller, A., & Abrams, D. (2006). A people’s Entente Cordiale? The role of implicit attitude in the relationship between English-French contact, levels of categorization and explicit intergroup attitudes. Current Research in Social Psychology, 11(7), 92-110. [http://www.uiowa.edu/~grpproc/crisp/crisp.html]
- Eller, A. (2008). Solidarity.com: Is there a link between offline behavior and online donations? CyberPsychology & Behavior, 11(5), 611-613.
- Eller, A., & Abrams, D. (2004). Come together: Longitudinal comparisons of Pettigrew’s reformulated intergroup contact model and the Common Ingroup Identity Model in Anglo-French and Mexican-American contexts. European Journal of Social Psychology, 34(3), 229-256. [Featured study in Franzoi, S. L. (2005). Social Psychology (4th edition). New York: McGraw-Hill]
- Eller, A., Abrams, D., Viki, G. T., & Imara, D. A. (2007). When my friend’s friend is a police officer: Extended contact, crossed-categorization, and public-police relations of Black and White people. South African Journal of Psychology, 37(4), 783-802.
- Abrams, D., Eller, A., & Bryant, J. (2006). An age apart: The effects of intergenerational contact and stereotype threat on performance and intergroup bias. Psychology and Aging, 21(4), 691-702.
- Eller, A., Abrams, D., Viki, G. T., Imara, D. A., & Peerbux, S. (2007). Stay cool, hang loose, admit nothing: Race, intergroup contact, and public-police relations. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 29(3), 213-224.
- Eller, A., Koschate, M., & Gilson, K.-M. (2011). Embarrassment: The ingroup-outgroup audience effect in faux-pas situations. European Journal of Social Psychology, 41, 489-500. Special Issue on Social Image.
- Brown, R., Eller, A., Leeds, S., & Stace, K. (2007). Intergroup contact and intergroup attitudes: A longitudinal study. European Journal of Social Psychology, 37, 692-703.
- Viki, G. T., Culmer, M. J., Eller, A., & Abrams, D. (2006). Race and willingness to co-operate with the police: The role of quality of contact, attitudes towards the behaviour and subjective norms. British Journal of Social Psychology, 45(2), 285-302.
- Eller, A., Abrams, D., & Zimmermann, A. (2011). Two degrees of separation: A longitudinal study of actual and perceived extended international contact. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 14(2), 175-191. Special Issue on Prejudice Reduction through Extended and Other Forms of Indirect Contact.
- Dovidio, J. F., Eller. A., & Hewstone, M. (2011). Editorial: Improving intergroup relations through direct, extended and other forms of indirect contact. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 14(2), 147-160. Special Issue on Prejudice Reduction through Extended and Other Forms of Indirect Contact.
- Eller, A., & Abrams, D. (2003). “Gringos” in Mexico: Cross-sectional and longitudinal effects of language school-promoted contact on intergroup bias. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 6(1), 55-75. [Special Issue on Intergroup Contact, guest edited by J. F. Dovidio, S. L. Gaertner & K. Kawakami]
- Eller, A., & Koschate, M. (2010). ¿Te importa o te vale? ¿Que audiencia nos causa pena? [Do you care or not? Which audience causes us embarrassment?] Revista Mexicana de Psicología, 13, 1057-1064.
- Eller, A., Koschate, M., Gilson, K., & Hull, C. (2009). Vergüenza: El efecto del público de grupos pertenencia y externos en situaciones bochornosas [Embarrassment: The ingroup-outgroup audience effect in faux-pas situations]. Revista Mexicana de Psicología, número especial, 373-374.
- Eller, A., Abrams, D., & Zimmermann, A. (2005). Spreading Britishness: Findings from a longitudinal attitude survey. World Views / UKCOSA, 18, 6-8.
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Social Psychology
Facultad de Psicologia
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
04360 Mexico City